This awards season, the French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF), New York’s premiere French cultural center, presents the new CinéSalon series Best Actress: A César-Winner Showdown, an epic battle of France’s most talented actresses, running Tuesday, January 9 through Tuesday, March 6.
Each week at CinéSalon, FIAF will screen films starring winners of the César for Best Actress — French cinema’s highest accolade. Spanning the César awards from very first Best Actress (Romy Schneider in 1976) to the most recent (Isabelle Huppert in 2017), the series includes international hits (La Môme), cult favorites (L’important c’est d’aimer), and lesser-known gems (One Deadly Summer).
Their fierce, vulnerable, and show-stopping performances each bring unforgettable characters to life. But it’s up to the audience to decide the all-time best. Attendees can vote for their number one César-winner either in person or online through February 13, and join CinéSalon in time for this season’s César and Oscar awards with a red-carpet event on March 6 as the series culminates in a special screening starring the audience’s favorite actress.
– La Vie en Rose (Marion Cotillard), dir. Olivier Dahan, Tuesday, January 9 at 4 & 7:30pm
– One Deadly Summer (Isabelle Adjani), dir. Jean Becker, Tuesday, January 16 at 4 & 7:30pm
– Le petit lieutenant (Nathalie Baye), dir. Xavier Beauvois, Tuesday, January 23 at 4 & 7:30pm
– Amour (Emmanuelle Riva), dir. Michael Haneke, Tuesday, January 30 at 4pm
– L’important c’est d’aimer (Romy Schneider), dir. Andrzej Zulawski, Tuesday, January 30 at 7:30pm
– Three Colors: Blue (Juliette Binoche), dir. Krzysztof Kieslowski, Tuesday, February 6 at 4 & 7 :30pm
– The Last Metro (Catherine Deneuve), dir. François Truffaut, Tuesday, February 13 at 4pm
– Vagabond (Sandrine Bonnaire), dir. Agnès Varda, Tuesday, February 13 at 7:30pm
– Elle (Isabelle Huppert), dir. Paul Verhoeven, Tuesday, February 20 at 4 & 7:30pm
– Related Event: Classics of French Cinema with Olivier Barrot: Elevator to the Gallows (Jeanne Moreau), dir. Louis Malle, Tuesday, February 27 at 4 & 7:30pm. Olivier Barrot talk at 6:45pm
– Special Event: Audience Choice Award Screening: Surprise film to be announced, Tuesday, March 6 at 4 & 7:30pm
Films in French with English subtitles unless otherwise noted. Free with RSVP!